World

India attends Donald Trump’s inaugural Gaza Peace Board meeting as observer | India News


India attends Donald Trump's inaugural Gaza Peace Board meeting as observer

NEW DELHI: India on Thursday attended the inaugural meeting of US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace on Gaza as an “observer” country, without joining the initiative that has been set up by Trump for the redevelopment of the Gaza Strip. India was represented at the meeting, held at the Donald J Trump Institute of Peace in Washington DC, by Chargé d’affaires at the Indian Embassy Namgya Khampa, reported PTI. Trump pledged $10 billion for the new “Board of Peace,” saying the United States would fund the initiative aimed at rebuilding Gaza, which was reduced to rubble by two years of war between Hamas and Israel. Trump will wield veto power over the “Board of Peace” and can remain its head even after leaving office, while countries seeking permanent membership instead of a two-year term will be required to pay $1 billion. Trump announced that the US will commit $10 billion to the Board, whose members include 27 nations such as Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Hungary, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and the UAE. PM Narendra Modi was among the numerous global leaders that the US President had invited to join the board that was announced under the second phase of a ceasefire agreement between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip. India was among the countries not present at a January 22 ceremony in Davos where Trump unveiled the Board of Peace that seeks to work towards bringing lasting peace to Gaza and possibly resolve other global conflicts. The Board of Peace is perceived as a rival to the UN. Trump has previously said that the Board of Peace “might” replace the UN, which he said has never lived up to its potential. The executive board, finalised on January 17, consists of a mix of diplomats and financiers, including US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Jared Kushner, and World Bank President Ajay Banga. While the US has outlined an initial $1 billion reconstruction package for housing and infrastructure, funding is strictly tied to security conditions.



Source link

Related posts

9 sixes, 6 fours! Red-hot Vaibhav Suryavanshi creates history with another explosive knock | Cricket News

beyondmedia

UK records hottest day of year so far – as 40C highs close schools in Europe | Weather News

beyondmedia

Government accused of ‘stark’ contradiction over position on Gaza genocide allegations | Politics News

beyondmedia

Leave a Comment