World

From posters in Delhi to raids in Tamil Nadu & Bengal: How cops busted Pakistan-based terror plot in India | India News


From posters in Delhi to raids in Tamil Nadu & Bengal: How cops busted Pakistan-based terror plot in India
Delhi Police Special Cell arrests 8 accused involved in planning a terror plot linked with Pakistan’s intelligence agency, ISI, and Bangladeshi terrorist organisations. (ANI)

NEW DELHI: The Delhi Police Special Cell has busted a terror module allegedly linked to Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) handlers operating from Bangladesh, arresting eight suspects and preventing what officials described as a major untoward incident.The operation spanned Delhi, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu, uncovering a network accused of pasting anti-national posters, conducting reconnaissance and planning terror activities at the behest of Pakistan’s ISI and Bangladesh-based operatives.

Anti-India posters trigger probe

The case began on February 7, when anti-national posters were found pasted on pillars at the Kashmiri Gate Metro station and nearby locations in Delhi.Addressing a press conference, Additional CP (Special Cell) Pramod Kumar Kushwaha said, “A team from the Special Cell busted a module that was being handled by a Lashkar handler based in Bangladesh. A major untoward incident has been prevented. On February 7th, anti-national posters were pasted on pillars at the Kashmiri Gate Metro station and some nearby metro stations in Delhi. The CISF noticed this and brought it to the attention of the Metro unit of the Delhi Police. The Special Cell team went to Kolkata.” Two suspects Umar Farooq and Bangladeshi national Robil Ul Islam were arrested in Kolkata with the help of local police.Kushwaha said, “With the help of the local police, two people were arrested, and one of these two people was Umar Farooq and with him a Bangladeshi, Robil Ul Islam. Both of them were arrested, and they revealed that anti-India posters were put up at many places in Delhi, the posters that echoed terrorists, were put up by these two. Later, it was found out through interrogation and investigation that the direction to them was being given by Shabbir Ahmed Lone, from Bangladesh.Police sources said that four of the eight accused had earlier come to Delhi and pasted “Free Kashmir” and other provocative posters at a metro station during the AI Summit before returning to Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.

Bangladesh-based handler identified

Investigations revealed that the module was allegedly directed by Shabbir Ahmed Lone, a resident of Ganderbal in Kashmir, currently based in Bangladesh.“In 2007, Shabbir Ahmed Lone was arrested, and AK-47, grenades were found on him, and he had come for ‘fidayeen’ to kill a senior political leader…He remained in jail for many years and was released in 2019. After his release, he again fled to Bangladesh. He is a resident of Ganderbal, Kashmir. Initial investigations have revealed that he reconnected with the LeT leadership and re-established his organisation to carry out terrorist activities,” Kushwaha said.According to police, Lone allegedly reassembled his associates and conducted dry runs in multiple cities.“He (Lone) reassembled his men and conducted dry runs with these men. He had posters put up in various locations. He did so not just in Delhi, but also in Kolkata. On February 10th, he put up anti-India posters at several metro stations and other locations in Kolkata. He also rented a house in Kolkata…” Kushwaha added.

Raids in Tamil Nadu: Dozens mobile phones & SIM cards seized

Further investigation led the Special Cell to Tamil Nadu, where six more suspects, all Bangladeshi nationals were arrested with the assistance of the Tamil Nadu Police.“The investigation revealed that some individuals who are Bangladeshi nationals were in Tamil Nadu. They were going to take them back to Kolkata and plant them in a terrorist activity before they could do anything. The team then went to Tamil Nadu and, with the help of the Tamil Nadu police, arrested six more people, all of whom are Bangladeshi nationals,” Kushwaha said.Earlier, police had identified six accused from Tamil Nadu, Mizanur Rahman, Mohammad Shabat, Umar, Mohammad Litan, Mohammad Shahid and Mohammad Ujjal, who were arrested and brought to Delhi.Two were picked up from Uthukuli, three from Palladam and one from Thirumuruganpoondi. They were working in the garment industry and allegedly concealing their identities using fake Aadhaar cards.During the raids, police recovered dozens of mobile phones and SIM cards. In one phase of the operation alone, eight mobile phones and 16 SIM cards were seized.Officials said the accused were in contact with each other through social media and were allegedly posting content in support of Pakistan-based terrorist organisations. Investigators also suspect the group conducted reconnaissance of several cities.

Larger terror alert

The crackdown comes amid intelligence inputs warning of a possible terror threat in the national capital. Sources said Lashkar-e-Taiba may be plotting an IED attack, with a temple in the Chandni Chowk area and areas around the Red Fort potentially on the radar.“Blast alert in front of the Red Fort in Delhi. Terrorists may target a temple in Chandni Chowk. Lashkar-e-Taiba is plotting an IED attack. They are planning a major terrorist attack in India to avenge the February 6th mosque blast in Islamabad, Pakistan. Major temples in the country can be targeted by Lashkar-e-Taiba,” intelligence sources said.Police said all eight accused are being brought to Delhi for further interrogation and that the investigation is ongoing.



Source link

Related posts

Sitaare Zameen Par Full Movie Collection: ‘Sitaare Zameen Par’ box office collection day 7: Aamir Khan and Genelia D’Souza starrer mints Rs 89.15 crores net in India ahead of the second week |

beyondmedia

Home-and-away or away-and-away? IPL franchise’s bizarre training stops | Cricket News

beyondmedia

‘International cricket will expose you’: Mohammad Amir tears into Abhishek Sharma again | Cricket News

beyondmedia

Leave a Comment