Politics

Government abandons plans to delay council elections after legal advice | Politics News



The government has abandoned plans to postpone 30 local elections in May following legal advice.

Labour announced last year it was planning to cancel elections in 30 areas – affecting more than 4.5 million people – to overhaul English council structures.

But on Monday, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) said it was no longer going ahead with the plan due to “new legal advice”.

Reform UK had launched a legal challenge against the government, and the legal advice was in relation to that case.

A letter from the government’s legal department to MHCLG, seen by Sky News, said the government will pay Reform’s legal costs.

Sky News understands the legal costs are in six figures.

An MHCLG spokesman said: “Following legal advice, the government has withdrawn its original decision to postpone 30 local elections in May.

“Providing certainty to councils about their local elections is now the most crucial thing and all local elections will now go ahead in May 2026.”

The department has written to all 30 councils to confirm elections will go ahead in May.

There will also be a £63 million fund to help local councils across those areas reorganise their structures, with “practical support” also on offer.

This is just the latest in a series of U-turns by Sir Keir’s government.

Fewer than two hours before the announcement, the prime minister was asked by the BBC if he would “stick the course now after those U-turns”.

He responded: “Absolutely. I know exactly why I was elected in with a five year mandate to change this country for the better, and that’s what I intend to do.”

Campaigners expressed relief at this latest U-turn.

Elliot Keck, campaigns director of the TaxPayers’ Alliance, said: “Taxpayers will be hugely relieved to see their right to a vote restored, but it should have never come this far.

“Millions of voters were not just facing cancelled elections, but also the double injustice of increased council tax despite a complete lack of a democratic mandate.

“Ministers should still bring in new guidelines making clear that were any elections to be cancelled in future, for any reason, there would be a mandatory freeze on council tax and any other charges.”

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly.

Please refresh the page for the fullest version.

You can receive Breaking News alerts on a smartphone or tablet via the Sky News App. You can also follow @SkyNews on X or subscribe to our YouTube channel to keep up with the latest news.



Source link

Related posts

Police will not investigate activists going door-to-door asking people to stop buying Israeli products | Politics News

beyondmedia

Matt Hancock accused of insulting ‘memory of every COVID victim’ over inquiry comments | UK News

beyondmedia

Is a 'boys' club' undermining Starmer's government?

beyondmedia

Leave a Comment